16. He told her, “Go, call your husband and come back.”
17. “I have no husband,” she replied. Jesus said to her,
“You are right when you say you have no husband.
18. The fact is, you have had five husbands, and the man you now have
is not your husband, What you have just said is quite true.”
19. “Sir,” The woman said, “I can see that you are a prophet
20. Our fathers worshiped on this mountain, but you Jews claim that the
place we must worship is Jerusalem.”
21. Jesus declared, “Believe me, woman, a time is coming when you will
worship the Father neither on this mountain nor in Jerusalem.
22. You Samaritans worship what you do not know; we worship what we do know,
for salvation is from the Jews.
23. Yet a time is coming when the true worshippers will worship will worship the Father in spirit and truth, for they are the kind of worshipers the Father seeks.
24. God is spirit, and his worshipers must worship in spirit and in truth.”
25. The woman said, “I know that Messiah” (called Christ) “is coming.
When he comes, he will explain everything to us.”
26. Then Jesus declared, “I who speak to you am