“1. Sing to the Lord a new song; sing to the Lord, all the earth.
2. Sing to the Lord, praise his name; proclaim his salvation day after day.
3. Declare his glory among the nations, his marvelous deeds among all peoples.
4. For great is the Lord and most worthy of praise; he is to be feared above all gods.
5. For all the gods of the nations are idols, but the Lord made the heavens.
6. Splendor and majesty are before him; strength and glory are in his sanctuary.
7. Ascribe to the Lord, O families of nations, ascribe to the Lord glory and strength.
8. Ascribe to the Lord the glory due his name; bring an offering and come into his courts.
9. Worship the Lord in the splendor of his holiness; tremble before him, all the earth.
10. Say among the nations, ‘The Lord reigns.’
The world is firmly established, it cannot be moved; he will judge the peoples with equity.
11. Let the heavens rejoice, let the earth be glad; let the sea resound, and all that is in it;
12. let the fields be jubilant, and everything in them.
Then all the trees of the forest will sing for joy;
13. they will sing before the Lord, for he comes, he comes to judge the earth.
He will judge the world in righteousness and the peoples in his truth.”
Devotion by Darlene Wagner
“Sing to the Lord a new song”, captures the purest meaning of Advent season. A new song came to earth in the form of Christ. “Sing to the Lord, all the earth”, captures the universality of this message. The advent message is repeated in Luke 2:10 “I bring you good news of great joy that will be for all the people.” Good news for all the people! Not just a chosen few. Further on in Psalm 96, the false gods of other nations are denounced. They are denounced because they are petty, tribal spirits who do not offer joy to all peoples. Even as the psalm ends in a prediction of judgement, there is still cause for all peoples to rejoice. This promised judgement is not eternal hellfire, because that is a doctrine from the false gods. The promised judgement is all about equity, righteousness, and truth. This judgement will bring joy for all people, because the goodness and fairness of the true God will be manifest.
I praise you and thank you Glorious Father!
Your goodness and equity surpass human sense!
Even on this darkest day, your glory overcomes.
Even midst the spreading sickness, your healing overcomes.
Even when liberty is lost, your gift of rebirth overcomes.
O Lord defeating darkeness, how you reign forevermore.